Universal Credit – Deflection Script
I’m pleased that Sky News has given coverage to the very important issue of “deflection scripts” being used in order to rush claimants off of the Universal Credit helpline – something I have been working to expose for a while now. It is shocking that the government are covering up their callous treatment of people in need.
I have written to DWP Secretary Amber Rudd – the Government need to come clean now, and apologise to those who have been affected.
Universal Credit Split Payments
By default, households receive Universal Credit in one payment, into one bank account – usually one belonging to a male partner.
Refuge frontline staff have encountered many cases where the perpetrator has had a Universal Credit payment paid into their bank account, then used that money as a tool for coercive control.
This includes women being given strict allowances, at times resulting in them forgoing food and basic necessities in order to prioritise feeding their children.
I have campaigned tirelessly to change this.
Actions I have taken include:
- Discussed split payments with local organisations at constituency roundtable on UC
- Raised need for automatic split payments at meeting with Minister for Employment
- Asked written questions on split payments
- Asked Leader of the House about automatic split payments at Business Questions
- Held Westminster Hall debate on Universal Credit split payments
- Opposition Day debate – highlighted UC split payments
- Asked a PMQ (Prime Minister’s Questions) on automatic split payments
- Asked a the Goverment to automatically split payments (watch here)
I will continue to hold the Government to account on this issue.